Hi there, I’m Cymber Lily Quinn, and I’m passionate about helping dedicated, top-level harpists and other musicians overcome mind-body blocks. These blocks may prevent you from stepping into the zone of music and playing at the level you want.
I blend maverick and traditional practices – including Mindfulness, Breathing Practices, Reiki and Chakra Balancing, Cymatics, and what I call Holistic Harpistry – to help you reconnect your mind, heart, spirit and body so you can dance with your instrument. I even have deep practices for getting rid of ancient gunk that may be jamming up the works.
- If you are a self-directed learner, who is already working on projects and needs help reaching the next level, I would enjoy talking with you.
- If you know you can get further with a coach and teacher than you can on your own, let’s talk.
- If you are a dedicated musical experimenter, who is committed to stretching beyond the bounds of your current situation, I would like to help you bring forth the music that the world so desperately needs to hear.Email me at Cymber @ Cymber.com.
ABOUT ME: IN THE FROZEN BEGINNING
I was born into a musical, but icy and perfectionistic, family. Classical and traditional music were the only styles that counted. Eventually, I felt so frozen in that world that I left home and music for 27 years.
THAWING AND HEALING
In Hilo, Hawaii, I began to thaw out. I began to understand the trauma that I had experienced in my childhood, and worked with many healers along my journey. During that time, it became clear that the best path to healing lay in returning to music and creating my own music. Along the way I became a Reiki master, learned the basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine and studied at the International Harp Therapy Program.
WARMING, HEALING POWER OF THE HARP
I knew at age 6 that I wanted to play the harp, but I was delayed 36 years, but it is the harp that I healed my life, and continue to do so today.
I am fortunate to have studied with a variety of super-talented harpists and healers, including:
- Diana Rowan – traditional Celtic and impro harp, composition, stage production and business management.
- Deborah Henson-Conant, GRAMMMY nominee – improv, blues, jazz, and celtic
- Park Stickney, jazz harpist – jazz, improv
- Christina Tourin, director of the International Harp Therapy Program – improv, church modes, healing music, resonant tones, celtic music
- Susan Zevenbergen, harp teacher – improv, church modes, healing music, celtic music
A LIFELONG ATHLETE, A ROWING COACH
Throughout my life I have been an athlete. Soccer, tennis, track, diving team. I have varsity letters in marksmanship (that’s shooting rifles) and rowing. My absolute favorite exercise is walking, especially in the morning.
I learned to row at a special high school, and in 1988 when the Indiana University summer rowing program needed a coach, I said, “yes.” I have been coaching ever since. From 1996-2003, I coached the men’s masters program at Los Gatos (Calif.) Rowing Club. I learned a lot about mind-body connection and the aging process. I also learned about the power of posture, good eating and other helpful tools that translate well to the serious musicians lifestyle and health.
Holistic Harpistry is the result of working with me. You’ll learn how to interact with your body better, how to eat better, how to rest better, and ultimately how to play your instrument better.
HOW TO STUDY WITH ME
I offer three different types programs:
If you are a dedicated musician, ready to commit 6 to 12 months to intensive, deep work, you’re in the right place. Lessons, classes, workshops are mostly online via Skype. But in-person lessons are available if you live near Campbell, CA, or when I am on tour.
The “Meet Your Muse” is a 4-month program of deep internal work, designed to clear the gunk, and get your compass reset. Call will be spaced about two weeks apart to give you time to integrate the ideas, and to give you time to think and reframe your ideas about making music.
I only take a few dedicated beginners each year. Please check out my free video series, “How to Get Started Playing Holistic Harp.” If you feel that you are ready to commit to a year or more of harp lessons, let’s talk.